Paving Studs

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Derek Jempson

Paving Studs

Postby Derek Jempson » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:13 pm

In Queen's Road, outside Priory Meadow Shopping Centre, the paving slabs are inset at intervals with what appears to be circular brass studs, about one inch in diameter. Does anyone know their purpose?

Richard

Re: Paving Studs

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:01 pm

Are they perhaps used to mark out areas of the pavement that are private property in front of a building?

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:13 am

No, I don't think so - they are too far from the outermost parts of the shops to be within any curtilage. I didn't count the frequency of the studs yesterday (one stud per x number of paving slabs), but I would think that they are regularly spaced.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:15 am

I have noticed these studs many times. They are numerous in Wellington Place amongst the paving slabs of the pedestrian area. My first thought was that, with infrastructure in Hastings often being cheaply and shoddily put together, the studs we're put in there to stop the town falling apart ..

I was on the pier briefly on Sunday. It's a pleasant, airy place to be of course and the weather was beautiful but I found it also somewhat depressing. A monument to wasted opportunities and lack of vision. All that space available but just one cafe (the main building down by the gates) and an ice cream hut - the upper level cafe was boarded up. Only three huts open - postcards, tarot readings and massage, the other five huts were boarded up. The lower part of the new central stucture (which I still think is incredibly ugly) was filled with amusement machines but no customers.

A "market" was advertised - it consisted of two stalls selling old clothes.

In the the beautiful weather we have had, you would think the administrators would be holding music events, antiques markets, Morris dancing .. I am sure other people could contribute lots of ideas.

How does the pier make any money?

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm

The small brass paving studs are along Pizza Express Hastings, specifically extending along the outside of strip-drain guttering also passing the same strip-drains running along the frontage of M&S.
The mystery remains...

cerberus

Postby cerberus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:15 am

Derek Jempson wrote:In Queen's Road, outside Priory Meadow Shopping Centre, the paving slabs are inset at intervals with what appears to be circular brass studs, about one inch in diameter. Does anyone know their purpose?

I've always understood that the studded paving blocks are a tactile aid for blind people - although I've yet to see a blind person either in town or on the prom. Anyone whose vision is bad enough to only be able to navigate by them shouldn't be out and about unaccompanied.

As to the pier: I've never understood what the big deal with them is. I mean they're only an extension of the promenade, and the air is just the same? But it does look as if it's waiting to be completed from the halfway point (I don't have the faintest idea what that big structure is for :?: ) to the end, and wouldn't mind betting that in the fullness of time it will become filled up with a few pubs.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”