Quarry Hill area_ _ _.

Questions and answers for those considering a move to the Hastings area.
andpmakes3

Quarry Hill area_ _ _.

Postby andpmakes3 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:03 am

We have found a property we'd love to rent on Quarry Hill. We are new to living in the area but not new to Hastings. We've heard mixed reviews about the Warrior Square area and just wondered whether any locals could give us their view? I know it's down to the individual but humour me? Please?

Thank you

Mymblesdaughter

Re: Quarry Hill area_ _ _.

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 am

Hi, do you mean Quarry Hill, St Leonards. If so we looked at a place there when we moved here. It seems a good area. The only problem I can see is that later in the year the Archery ground is going to be redeveloped. There has been a hold up as locals weren't happy with the plans. Looks like they have a new architect now and is sounding like this will be up a running later this year.

It's quite away from Warrior Square though. Do you just want general views of living in St Leonards. If so, we are very happy here we love St Leonards and wouldn't swap it for Hastings. As far as I can see it has lots of new and interesting things happening. Warrior square used to have a bad reputation for drug and drinking but I haven't noticed a problem in the two years I've been here.

Eileen

Postby Eileen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 pm

I've lived in the Bohemia road/Warrior square area for over 3 years and I find it fine.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:33 pm

'Warrior Square Hastings' covers an area presumably just south of the station, (down Mexico Way) to the coast.

'Quarry Hill (St Leonards') sounds idyllic.
St Leonards, originally named 'Burton's St. Leonards' has a place called 'Allegria' (James Burton's own residence from 1831 until his death).

There has always been a little snobbery emanating from St Leonards towards Hastings but then you have some very exclusive places and properties in Hastings too.
Just follow your heart!!

Mymblesdaughter

Postby Mymblesdaughter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 pm

The place we looked at was in Allegria Court, it was a beautiful flat unfortunately it needed quite a bit of work and we couldn't afford it. :(
It seemed amazingly cheap though for such a lovely place.

We didn't even look at St Leonards when we first started looked for a flat down here as we heard such awful things about the place. When we actually started looking around at flats though there really is very little difference between Hasting and St Leonards. We just prefered St Leonards, Im sure others prefer Hastings.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:08 am

A 'flat' may be more easy to renovate but from my experience many people come to Hastings / St. Leo's and buy or rent a "beautiful" property and then sooner or later realise that it takes a good few years to restore once you start scraping away beneath the surface.
Old walls with Victorian plaster crumbling and old paintwork which is lead-based and noxious to sand away (stripping with chemicals or burning is less hazardous).
Old roofing with dodgy beams and leaking gutters or flashing and windows that soon need overhauling.
It's all part of the "fun" but you are quite right to point out that this is just as much an important element in the equation as the actual neighbourhood itself.

Just as important advice as being in a good neighbourhood would be to check the properties either side of where you intend to live as there are many 'absentee landlords' (even in desirable areas) who allow tenants into their run-down property and just collect the rent and don't much care about the dilapidated appearance which can be depressing especially if the tenants don't have the ability or inclination to maintain the property either.

Return to “Moving to Hastings & St Leonards”