Looking for Glasspool, Hammond and Mepham relatives

Looking for someone in the Hastings area, try posting a message here
linda

Looking for Glasspool, Hammond and Mepham relatives

Postby linda » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:39 pm

My Gran was born in 1875 to Lester Hammond and Frances Ellen Mepham at Standens Cottages, Ivy House Lane in Ore.

She got married in 1912 in Hastings to my Grandad Charles Albert Glasspool who was born in 1883 in Cranbrook, Hawkhurst .

She had been married before this and her former married name was White.
I think she worked at some time as a cook in Battle Abbey.

Any information would be appreciated. Does Ivy House Lane even exist anymore?

Thankyou, Linda

John Hodd

Re: Looking for Glasspool, Hammond and Mepham relatives

Postby John Hodd » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:14 pm

Hi Linda,
Sorrry I cant be of much help with the name but Ivyhouse lane definitely exists as I happen to live about five minutes walk from there.
Just out of curiosity I wonder if in your search for Mephams you have come across any Meppems, I have a friend whose mother was a Meppem, A rather unusual variation on the spelling.
I imagine that it was just the registrar's idea of how to spell it as there was an awful lot of folk that couldnt read or write.

Best wishes
John Hodd up near the cemetery

linda

Postby linda » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the info.

I haven't come across any Meppems in my searching. My G Grandma was a Mepham but as I have gone farther back it was Me(o)pham as the place Meopham was about 10 miles away.

Good Luck in your seaching

Linda

Phillipa Meppem

Postby Phillipa Meppem » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:10 pm

[quoted] I'm a Meppem (by marriage) living in Australia. My husbands family came to Australia in around 1860's from Sussex and I have had contact with Meppem's in that area. The originally lived in the Sussex/Battle/Hastings area and before that we think form Germany where there is a town named Meppen. Meppem/Mepham has about 40 variations to the spelling fyi.

At 12:14:50 PM 14/06/05, John Hodd wrote:
Hi Linda,
Sorrry I cant be of much help with the name but Ivyhouse lane definitely exists as I happen to live about five minutes walk from there.
Just out of curiosity I wonder if in your search for Mephams you have come across any Meppems, I have a friend whose mother was a Meppem, A rather unusual variation on the spelling.
I imagine that it was just the registrar's idea of how to spell it as there was an awful lot of folk that couldnt read or write.

Best wishes
[/quoted]

emma harvey

Re:Mepham relatives

Postby emma harvey » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:00 pm

hi my name is emma my mam married ian mepham who tragicaly was taken from us on 22/2/02 he was a lovely man and i still talk to his parents but i was wondering if there are any more of the family i could get intouch with

they live in oxford road

my grandad is called brian mepham his mother mary is in a home now and she lived next door to the scouts hut at the end of the street! ian had a twin called andrew and a sister called deborah!

my grandad has and avery in his garden and my grandmar marry and she used 2 deliver sandwiches up untill 4-5 years ago

ian would have been 38-39 this year! he had a best friend called paul and ther ran a race when they were in their teens like the grate north run we have up here in newcastle!

any information on them would be much appraciated

xxx emma :)

Michelle Meppem

Postby Michelle Meppem » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:38 am

[quoted]
Phillipa Meppem wrote:
[quoted] I'm a Meppem (by marriage) living in Australia. My husbands family came to Australia in around 1860's from Sussex and I have had contact with Meppem's in that area. The originally lived in the Sussex/Battle/Hastings area and before that we think form Germany where there is a town named Meppen. Meppem/Mepham has about 40 variations to the spelling fyi.

At 12:14:50 PM 14/06/05, John Hodd wrote:
Hi Linda,

Best wishes
[/quoted]

[/quoted]
any info as to my grandfather Jack (john) benjamin MEPPEM, from NARRABRI would be fantastic, EG: who are his prevoius children and would they like to make contact_ _ _ they are the ONLY other relatives I have apart from my father, aunt and her child and uncle and his children_ _ _
thank you heaps..
:(

Michelle Meppem

Postby Michelle Meppem » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:48 am

[quoted]
John Hodd wrote:
Hi Linda,

Best wishes
I am a MEPPEM, my fathers name is Brian Meppem, My grandfather's name was Jack (john) benjamin MEPPEM, born in NARRABRI, N.S.W. Australia. any info on my grandfather's first family would be fantastic

:(

patrick

Postby patrick » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:38 am

it is believed the name originated in Yorkshire where it is the name of a place,the spelling has many variants.Google the Mepham Family Crest and you will get the many variants

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:30 pm

Mepham, Lots of them in and around Hastings. Ivy House Lane Still there althought the top end by the ridge is a mess as there are now several small industrial estates / wharehouses there. I do remember the original "Ivy House" Demolished sometime in the 60's I think. Less than 5 mins walk away is Mephams the butcher shop, a family run butchers that has been run by Mephams for at least 50yrs, they've still got a seperate counter for paying.

george3

Postby george3 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:05 pm

linda wrote:My Gran was born in 1875 to Lester Hammond and Frances Ellen Mepham at Standens Cottages, Ivy House Lane in Ore.

She got married in 1912 in Hastings to my Grandad Charles Albert Glasspool who was born in 1883 in Cranbrook, Hawkhurst .

She had been married before this and her former married name was White.
I think she worked at some time as a cook in Battle Abbey.

Any information would be appreciated. Does Ivy House Lane even exist anymore?

Thankyou, Linda

I do not know if there is a connection, but one of my father's sisters (Edith) married an Alfred MEPHAM (my Uncle) who was born and lived in BRIGHTLING, a small village very close to Battle ! Hope this helps !

Return to “Lost Relatives / Friends”