Coastal Management in Hastings

From bins to boy racers, have your say on whatever makes your blood boil
geography1234

Coastal Management in Hastings

Postby geography1234 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Hi there

I am a geography A level student doing some coursework on the coastal management strategies that have been put in place in Hastings. I would be really grateful if any locals could give me your opinions on the management already put in place such as the groynes and sea walls.

I'd also be keen to have your opinions on the lack of coastal management in areas like Rock-a-Nore. Any opinions would be a great help so i can try and understand how local residents feel about the systems in place :D thanks!

Richard

Re: Coastal Management in Hastings

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Hello geography1234,

There is of course plenty of background data online, relating to coastal management/defences etcetera:

https://se-coastalgroup.org.uk/

https://www.hastings.gov.uk/content/my_ ... rategy.PDF

General waffle:
A few groynes have been added recently, in the form of large blocks of rocks and the Harbour Arm at Rockanore has been strengthened, plus the gap in the middle has been filled in, showing that there has not been a lack of coastal management in that hot-spot.
Not sure how much effect this has had on anyone living here really.
The in-filling of the harbour arm may have given some protection to the fishermen landing boats nearby.

The seawall of Sidney Little still does its job and beach groynes are repaired or new ones inserted as the demands of coastal erosion dictate.
Since the sea-front at Hastings is the site of many tourist attractions there will always be efforts to protect against erosion and flooding, the two main enemies.

Other issues revolve around the drains behind the sea front that are challenged by high tides which mean that additional pumps have to be in place.
Not sure of the technicalities of all that but there is a sewerage plant at Rockanore, an overflow storm-drain outlet discharges immediately into the sea water and a huge pipe carries treated (or maybe not) effluent much further out to sea.
George street stinks in the summer months, via metal venting plates in the road and others may know the reason why.

The old iron pipe on the beach at Pelham Place has been removed, it was a local eyesore and carried runoff from up along Alexandra Park into the sea at Pelham.
The water still falls through to the beach, under the shingle areas.
The water quality was measured there as the blue-flag status of the beach means that bacteria or toxic runoff materials must be kept to a minimum, which additionally involves monitoring the water course higher up, into the valley of Alexandra Park.

Conclusion
It would be great if we could have sandy beaches everywhere, not just at low tide.
Presumably the angle of the slope of the beach and the currents tending to sweep the sand away, mean that shingle can provide better resistance on the higher energy zone of the upper beach areas but even then, without effective groynes, the whole lot would be shifted around, probably in the direction of Rockanore.
The Council frequently distribute, by truck, fresh supplies of pebble onto the upper beach areas near the Pier and elsewhere...

geography1234

Postby geography1234 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi Richard

Wow - thank you very much for such a comprehensive post, I really appreciate you taking the time to write it! Very useful indeed.
Phoebe :-)

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 pm

geography1234,

You are very welcome to ask questions.

Return to “Locals have your say”