Postal Voting

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
cbe

Postal Voting

Postby cbe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Does anyone share my view that postal voting has become the main means of vote rigging in this country?

seahermit

Re: Postal Voting

Postby seahermit » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:43 pm

Absolutely. It is clearly wide open to abuse. Likewise, proxy voting seems to attract some fraud, too easy to do.

I think all political ads etc. should be banned on social networking media - too much of it is fake, posted by bots etc.

In this respect, I am pretty old-fashioned. If people cannot be bothered to pop into their local polling station for two minutes, they should lose their vote. Even so, I am never asked for proof of my identity. How do they know it's me? I have often wondered!

cbe

Postby cbe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:51 pm

I well remember the days when you could only have a postal vote if you were in the armed forces or incapacitated or likely to be away from home on election day. The suggestion that postal votes should be available 'on demand' was made in 1999 and brought into force on 16th Feb 2001. As a
matter of interest I decided to wrack my brain to see who was in power to put that through the HoC. It was Tony Blair - I'm shocked, shocked Itellsya.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:27 pm

cbe the investigations that have been carried out into abuse of the system by postal voting found no evidence of it having happened in any significant way to nullify an election. There is obviously potential. Young Nigel Farage complained at Peterborough because he wanted his party to win but the thorough investigation found no evidence and young Nigel had given them nothing to work on other than it had happened!

My constituency has a high number of postal voters but there has not been any significant change in percentages for the parties.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:39 pm

Polling stations are open from 7 am to 10 pm and it seems quite reasonable to expect people to attend or use a postal vote. However old fuddie-duddies (yourselves!) should realise we are in a high tech age and that some people would prefer digital voting by phone, computer or tablet as an option.

It would help if some voters could distinguish between an advert and a news item on computer to influence their choice and also understand that what they read in newspapers is not always true. Johnson's lies, Corbyn 'dancing at the Cenotaph', 'Corbyn a Czech spy'. That last lie cost a Tory MP 10s of thousands in damages and a bonus to charities as Corbyn donated the money

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:29 am

Re: voting in particular, no, we are not in a "digital" age - we are in a "lazy" age. Digital voting is for most people quite unnecessary but allows them to stay on the sofa (or in bed) pressing buttons instead of making the effort of going for a walk (and thereby keeping their weight down). For invalids etc., of course special arrangements should be made.

Many people out there simply cannot distinguish between straight news items and ads or other ploys meant to manipulate them - that is the whole point and the danger.

Unfortunately, a lot of the items about Corbyn do happen to be true and have not even been denied by him e.g. hosting a series of programmes on Iranian state broadcasting - he said that he was using them to raise humanitarian issues. Ha ha!! As for the "Czech spy", we can afford to allow him one win - he has so many other ill-judged actions to account for.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:46 am

Postal voting 'on demand' as opposed to it being a necessity (as in the old days) is for one of only two reasons. Laziness - if you will not go to a polling station within all those allotted hours why call it anything else. It is laziness. Ah yes the other reason - postal vote fraud !!
One of our posters says there has been no evidence of any fraud nullifying an election. First of all we have to bear in mind that only the most obvious cases are considered by the electoral commission and so from that we are to assume they are the only cases taking place. There have been reports of large quantities of postal votes being delivered to polling stations by one vehicle - suspicious? surely not. I show 'just a handful of cases' below including one which shows Corbyn's view on democracy and legality.
Attachments
vf2.PNG
vf1.PNG
pv4.PNG

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:49 am

and one of two more just in case those above do not qualify for Colin's ' handful'
Attachments
vf5.PNG
vf5.PNG (12.83 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
vf4.PNG
vf3.PNG

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:13 pm

I did not suggest or say there has not been any instances from right and left. The allegation was that it was significant or massive. If I remember it was Young Nigel who alleged van loads of votes being delivered but failed to supply any back up.

In any event, postal votes are NOT delivered to polling stations they are returned to the relevant local authority where they are kept, sorted, and put in a corresponding postal ballot box to each ward. They are delivered to the count so that it would be almost impossible to determine given that there are no vans bedecked with banners saying 'postal votes'. Was young Nigel telling porkies

Rather than snippets of news reports it would be more efficient for you to use stats from the Min of Justice or electoral commission.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:39 pm

But...but..but Colin - some of the 'news reports' I have sent over the last couple of days are from The Mirror, The Independent and The Grauniad - you surely cannot doubt such august organs ?

By the way - is this you?
Attachments
evil.PNG

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”